Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Exchange Basket Received: Roy Burkhart to Lori Tourish

We are getting to the last exchanges. Here is the latest, Roy Burkhart sent his lovely original to Lori Tourish, and here's what she told us:

After stalking my various shipping carriers for the last few weeks, I finally walked to the mailbox hoping to see a missing key for the package slot....crossing my fingers I opened my box hoping to find the key....and there it was! Woo hoo! My neighbors must think I lost my mind, because I was so excited to get home and open the box!

What I found was a beautifully crafted piece of art that I will be displaying proudly!

The base looks to be a undulating piece of driftwood, the pineneedle coils wrap this way and that, it also includes 3 walnut slices that add to the beauty. Not sure of the wrapping material but looks to be a linen or cotton or sinew, naturally colored. My son said "Wow, that's cool!" He's right!


Thanks Roy, it's beautiful and I will enjoy it for many years to come!

Roy told me more about his piece, which he calls "The Flight of the Butterfly:"


The base is a small piece from the weird tree in my backyard. One of the dogs brought it in. I shaped it a little, saned it smooth, mostly, and use some Natural Danish Oil which darkened it. I drilled holes where necessary but not everywhere. I've been doing this for a while on gourds and other pieces of odd wood, calling it "unholey coiling" because "less holey coiling isn't as funny...





I am loving how this exchange is turning out, aren't you?

No comments: