Sunday, December 13, 2009

NCBA Classes with Anne Coleman


Traditional Appalachian Fan Basket
In the description in the NCBA Catalog the basket is described as round. I guess I should have proofread more carefully. The silhouette as pictured gives a half circle of weaving , but the ends are flattened, it is not round from all angles. The name comes from the silhouette shape being the shape of the old paper fans on a stick that we used to use in church and other public venues before air conditioning. In my class we will begin with an assembled ribbed skeleton on an oak frame. I am planning to have several widths of reed to weave with, choose one size or mix them up. Those participating will have a chance to practice and learn my easy method of 'turning back'. When the ribs are full of weaving you may choose to do the decorative weaving around the frame of the basket. This can be done in cane or reed and I will have a choice of weaving patterns. We should have enough time to complete the project and I will give up some of my secrets for coloring and finishing your baskets to make them last a lifetime. My baskets from the early 80's still look good and have unfaded color


Square Bottom
This basket is very tall. It is made on a 20'' handle. The actual weaving for the body of the basket is quick and easy. You will learn to weave continuously using a method I discovered studying old baskets. Actually most old baskets are made this way and I have never know of any one else in modern times using this method unless they have picked it up from me. The decorative vertical herringbone braiding is done in cane. This braid leaves no loose ends on the inside of the basket like I have seen on other teachers braiding adornments. Loose ends on the inside means the basket has no practical use as a container without knocking the braid loose. The braid I created leaves the inside of the basket free and the basket can be used. Braiding on the handle is optional, you may decide to leave this off and that will be fine. The spokes are different widths and the woven bottom is partially filled in with diagonal weaving, also optional.


Canterbury cross

This is a large easy basket that will sit on eight points instead of four like a 'cat head'. When the bottom that is a simple square changes into a cross it is an "aha, why didn't I think of that" moment. The shape just happens and the wooden handles complement it well. The inspiration for this basket was from an object in the background of a Renaissance painting. See you in Raleigh.

to find more posts about NCBA 2010, click here


No comments: