Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What's That In My Shoe?????

OOOOHH! Something is in there....

Can you see it? (click on the photos to see them larger) My dog was chasing something, and suddenly there was something VERY COLD in my old leather sandals, pressed up against my arch...I hobbled to the door to hollar for my camera. It was a chilly little anole, one of the cute little lizards that live in our yard. This one was resting somewhere and my dog must have caught it. They normally will not move when they are that cold, except to creep out to bask in the sun.

I let him nestle his cold little body against my foot for about 10 minutes, hoping to help him out. Finally, i slowly removed my sandal. I was pretty sure he was okay, but still crossing my fingers i had not crushed him....

he did not move when i slipped my toes out.
...and there he is. I knew he was okay. He little sides were heaving still, and his left eye was rolling all around, looking for that dog...I set him up on the railing of the deck, where the dog MIGHT not go (she is pretty agile) and looked more closely.


You can see where he was warming against me, his back is turning green.

About 10 minutes later, when i hobbled back to check on him, he was gone....
Perhaps this is him, peeking out from the shutters? So glad he got away! Since then, I have rescued 2 more from inside my house, in addition to a large tree frog! I suppose our windows are not tight enough, and we have them open, to catch the wonderful autumn air! Thank goodness for quick & gentle hands, we haven't lost one yet!

~pamela

6 comments:

Beadstylin said...

Wow, what a great blog! Very amusing and interesting. You are always finding such neat critters!

Jane Carlstrom said...

great story, well told. My grandpa was a pine needle coiler and he told great stories.... maybe the two go together.

My Mother's Garden said...

Pamela, What a great story! You saved an anole. :)
I'm surprised it stayed so calmly in your shoe for such a long time.

CrazyDaisiesDesigns said...

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing this little story with us! What a cutie pie!!

Hugs,
Jessica

Waterrose said...

oh my goodness can't believe he stayed in your shoe for so long. We had a gecko in our bathroom about a week ago....a weee baby.

madge1967 said...

That little stinker!!!!!
WOW! I am glad you didn't start walking on your foot!
Melissa