Saturday, November 14, 2009

14. Three Considerations for Faster, Easier Coiling Post 14

Thanks to Donna and Nancy who commented on the previous post. We talked about stitches. We need to revisit pine needle briefly, to talk about adding them....

Adding pine needles to the bundle is probably the most time consuming process of all, which is one of the main reasons people love the Southern Longleaf Pine. Longer needles mean fewer adds. Adding needles usual require that one stop stitching, some people actually put down the needle they are stitching with, prepare the pine needle, and add it.

To make the most of your time, have caps already removed, so they can be picked up with the non-dominant hand and added without laying down the sewing needle. Removing the whole cap, or fascicle, of the needle sometimes allows the needles to stay in a cluster, which allows you to add more at one time. The fastest, easiest way to add pine needles to a coil is on the outside of the coil with fascicles on. They can be added singly, or in multiples.

I would love to hear about your thoughts on adding needles, please leave a positive comment here for everyone to read! Thanks

Next post will be on starting a basket, please hold those thoughts for the next post…

2 comments:

Jeanne Williams from MT said...

Hi Pineneedlers,
I usually add 2 to 3 pine needles every other stitch mainly about a 1/4 inch. When I do add handles and such, I have enough of a coil to work with by adding needles at that time. I make sure I also have enough binder to work around a handle. It just makes it easier not to have to stop and start another long thread when you are holding everything in your hands. I have 2 jars of pineneedles that are by my side awaiting for me to add to the basket. I also go butts in the coil and leave the sharper points to go smoothly around the basket. Hopefully this makes sense.

Donna in WA said...

When I add needles, I try to add them so that none of the pine needles start or end at the same spot. While I have added pine needles to the center of the coil, that's not always feasible. I just stick them in whenever I get to a spot where the gauge is just starting to slip.