Wednesday, November 11, 2009

13. Three Considerations for Faster, Easier Coiling Post 13.

In the previous post in this series, we discussed removing fascicles from pine needles. Thanks so much to everyone who commented. The comments were obviously in favor of removing the sheath ends. There was one anonymous comment, that was made by me...i wanted to make sure people COULD leave anonymous comments, because several people said they had trouble. All you have to do is choose "anonymous" when it asks you for a profile...So please, leave a comment! There is no obligation or consequences. Thanks so much!

As we continue, habit or thought process…what about stitches?

How many stitches per inch? Do you use two where one will do?

Fancy stitches are wonderful. There are so many different kinds. If you are making a sampler, or your stitch is an integral part of the design, of course it makes sense to use a fancy stitch. (This article is not about pricing, but remember when faced with pricing baskets for sale, realize that a double or triple stitch will take you 2/3x or even twice as long, use double the binder and make the basket’s price that much higher.)

So, if you are trying to make baskets to cover all price points, or in the fastest, most efficient way possible, consider your stitch. A plain stitch, such as the separate stitch, is obviously the quickest way to build a basket, uses the least effort and binder. Using a wide binder, such as raffia or sinew, allows you to use fewer stitches per inch and still hold the basket together.

Stitching forward is quicker than constant reversals. So using the fern stitch (2 stitches in each hole, moving forward) is faster than a "V" stitch, which is still 2 stitches in each spot, but requires backstitching a row (two stitches in each hole, one moving forward and one moving backward.) Once you learn all the stitches thoroughly, it is really just as time-consuming to do the diamond stitch as it is to do a straight backstitch.


I would love to hear about your stitch choices, please leave a positive comment here for everyone to read! Thanks

Next post will be on adding needles to the bundle, please hold those thoughts for the next post…

2 comments:

Donna in WA said...

For the most part, I use the wheat stitch. It's the first stitch I ever learned. The woman who gave me initial instruction said that it helps make the basket stronger. So, most of the baskets I've made use the wheat stitch. However, I doubt that any stitch would help if I fell on top of one of my baskets.

As for how far apart I make stitches, I guess it just depends on what I'm making. I've had stitches as close together as 1/2" and as far apart as 1 1/4". I kind of just play it by ear.

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Hi Pamela,
I just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know I featured one of your etsy baskets on my blog today. Hope it sends some business your way!
Blessings,
Nancy