"Asymmetrical Basket Exchange"
Exchange Host: Pamela Zimmerman
Guidelines and Schedule
This is an opportunity for each of us to stretch our creativity
to design a piece of art using our skills in coiling to make a basket that is "not round." For tips on coiling an asymmetrical basket, please see Pamela's blog entries on Shaping Coiled Baskets.
- All members of the Pine Needle Group who have fulfilled their past commitments to our exchanges, and members who have never participated are eligible to participate.
- Baskets should be DRAMATICALLY asymmetrical. That is, not JUST "not quite round."
- Asymmetry is the absence of, or a violation of, a symmetry. Please see Wikipedia if there is a question as to what is asymmetrical. One lline of asymmetry is sufficient.
- All entries must be 50% coiled. Any material (Including, but not limited to pine needles) for the coiling. Other techniques are also permitted.
- Baskets may be started on a "start," of not larger than a 6 inches in any one direction. For ideas of what to use as a start, see Pamela's blog on this topic.
- You must be a member of the Pine Needle Yahoo Group in good standing to participate in this exchange.
- To participate, send your name, email address (please type it out, don't assume it is gotten from the email,) address, and PHONE NUMBER (mandatory) to Pamela Zimmerman, exchange Host. All entries will be acknowledged. The phone number is essential. Your phone number will not be distributed or shared, even to your exchange partner.
- Sign up period is from Monday, May 3, through Monday, May 10. You will the name of your partner May 10.
- Partner assignments will be double blind - that is, you will not know who is sending you a basket, and the person you are sending to will not necessarily be the one who is sending to you.
- You have from whenever you sign up, until June 14 to coil and ship your basket.
- Once you have completed your basket, please take several CLEAR pictures of it, and email the pictures to Pamela . If you do not have a digital camera, please have the image digitized at your local store, it does not cost much.
- Send the completed basket to your partner.
- Photos of all exchange baskets will be posted to this blog, as well as the Pine Needle Group list, along with the maker's name and who received it (and any other information about the basket they want to share.)
- When the exchange is over, we will vote on our favorite basket in the exchange. The favorite basket's maker will receive a prize from Pamela's MakeABasket.etsy.com shop.
- The Standing Rules apply.
- For tips on coiling an asymmetrical basket, please see Pamela's Blogpost on Shaping Coiled Baskets
SIGN-UP: today through Monday, May 10
COILING BEGINS: Immediately after signing up
NAMES DRAWN AND DISTRIBUTED: Monday, May 10
DEADLINE FOR COMPLETION/SHIP: June 14
QUESTIONS??? - E-MAIL ME: Pamela Zimmerman
If you are interested in coordinating a future exchange, your rules, email
Lynn Hoyt, Exchanges Coordinator