Friday, March 26, 2010

Alchemy: Visit from a Meerkat!?!


A few weeks ago, a unique visitor arrived....Alchemy, a little knitted meerkat from the UK! Alchemy has been traveling as a part of the Meerkat World Tour, from NiftyKnits on etsy, and I was honored to have her in my home!

Alchemy came to learn to make a horsehair basket, so we jumped right in. Here is how you stitch...be careful of the nose, please!
So, after studying for awhile, Alchemy takes a stab at doing it her (him?) self!


Ouch! Oh no! Alchemy has sewn the meerkat paw to the basket! Don't worry, though, it doesn't hurt too much. Pamela does this all the time when she makes these tiny, tiny pieces.


The basket is all finished, and Alchemy is eager to take it along on the World Tour. So we have found a cell phone lanyard that will make a perfect meerkat-sized necklace! Doesn't Alchemy look great!????

Thanks so much for visiting, here are Pamela and Alchemy with their matching necklaces! Get your own meerkat sized horsehair basket necklace, cell phone lanyard or zipper pull at PurpleToedGypsy.etsy.com . Tiny meerkat sized baskets (to sit in a shadowbox, dollhouse or other miniature format, not to wear) can be found in Pamela's other shop at bazketmakr.etsy.com

Look for other adventures from Meerkats on NiftyKnits blog. Thanks for sending Alchemy along, it was fun!

8 comments:

leapinggazelle said...

It looks like Alchemy had a great visit! I think your tiny baskets are amazing and can't believe the small needle and the patience you must have to make them. But the effort is well worth the final result! They're beautiful and now Alchemy has a wonderful keepsake from her visit :)

StudioCherie said...

Love the photo of the two of you! Can't wait to get the little critter myself and see all of the goodies too.

My Mother's Garden said...

Pamela~
Looks like the two of you had a good day together. I wonder if Alchemy knows how fortunate she is to have received a one on one basket making class with you? I wish I could have been there to learn along side you guys. I am amazed at the size of the baskets you create!

Jane Carlstrom said...

Fun seeing you make a basket together.

Heather Leavers said...

Oh I wish I could have been there too! I can well believe your finger gets sewn to a basket often, they're so intricate. Alchemy looks great in her basket necklace, thank you!

Waterrose said...

I'm always so amazed at your teeny tiny baskets....so beautiful. So glad you taught Alchemy how to make them...she can show me when she arrives!

Tasi Fashion said...

Wow, impressive :-)
How productive was this little creature in creating baskets?
:-)

Midnightcoiler said...

Very cute! Nice visit and love the horsehair necklaces you and Alchemy made.